Tuesday, June 15, 2010

It Must Be Love

For those that know me already, you know that I feel I have a terrific man in my life. Very caring, respectful, loving, intelligent, etc. Although we've been together for a little over 7 years now, I never realized just how much this man loved me until the last few months. You must understand, he is many things, but a sports enthusiast, he is not. He's knows them, has played them, but he is simply not a watcher of sports. Trust me, I REALLY love that during football season as I'm not abandoned every Sunday all day. In fact, he'd gladly do anything else I'd rather do on a Sunday during the winter months than sit in front of a football game... with the exception of the Superbowl... and only then, it's because there is usually a party that involves large amounts of food and beer.

However, for the last few months, he's endured my completely LOVE of the NBA, and more importantly, my very favorite CELTICS!!! They have been my team for as long as I can remember. I watched nearly every game when I still lived at home with my parents, with my Dad, who was also a huge fan. We went thru the whole Larry Bird years (the good as well as the not so good when he was at the end of his career and injured more often than not). I taught a couple of my sisters sons every rule of the game when they were little and watched with me and their grandpa. Her youngest spent one entire game asking me who won with each basket he saw made in the game. I told him on several occasions that I would tell him who won when it was really over, but that did not deter him from asking. It was just my luck that the particular game in which this occurred went into triple over time. But he was maybe 5 years old at the time, so it was hard to be upset. It was more cool that he was even asking the questions... however long of a night it turned out to be :) But I digress... now back to Tim.

He always knew how much I loved basketball. I even get a bit crazy at the JV games my daughter cheers for. He knew how happy I was when the Celtics won the Championship in 2008, but he never had to watch a game with me. This year, no one expected the C's to make it as far as they did. They started off their season with a bang, but last half of it, there were a lot of injuries and a lot of losses. The coach said he'd be happy if they were 4th of 5th in their division, and that's exactly where they ended up. But, they made the playoffs. And Tim made (depending on how you look at it) either his first mistake, or his first sign of showing me the love. He told me I could come watch one of the games on his new 46" TV, and he stuck around to watch with me.

No one expected them to get past the first round (and I think after Tim witnessed me watching a game, he might have been hopeful they wouldn't either). Orlando Magic was supposed to be too tough... but they blew past them. Then the Cavaliers were going to be completely unattainable... again, they took the series from them as well. Tim now knows first hand that when I get nervous at the end of a close game, no matter how big the TV screen is, I am now standing in front of it almost nose-to-nose with the players. He's heard me yell at officials who make horrendous calls, he's heard me call players pet names very loudly as if I'm the actual announcer at the stadium (which by the way would be very cool), and he's seen me decked out in more Celtics huge clothing than any guy should have to endure their lady wearing. And through it all, I think I wore off on him a bit.

My Celtics won the Eastern Conference Championship and are once again, playing the Lakers for the NBA Title. Tim and I haven't been able to be together in the same room for some of the games, but he's now watching even without me. He's texting me during the games to say something was a bad call or that someone made a good play. He knows the players names and how well they are doing in the game. He's even yelling at officials via text to me. At one point the funniest exchange from him was a text that said...

"you're going to make me miss The Daily Show aren't you". I assured him it wasn't my fault he couldn't turn the channel on his TV, and told him I was surprised that he was still watching the game. His reply was "my baby's boys are fighting for survival". Too funny. I got him. I even told him if he wasn't careful I'd have to buy him some Celtic Green to wear. His reply "I like Green".

So, tonight is Game 6 of the Finals. My team is up 3 to 2. We are playing on the road in LA. If we win tonight, it's over and we are Champions for the 18th time. If not, there is a game 7 (also in LA) where it could be tough as both these teams always want the win and will fight hard for it. Of course I want the win really bad (and tonight would be the best time to get it). But even if my TEAM doesn't win, I know that my TIM must really love me to have hung in there this long with me, and even seemed to enjoy parts of it. Thanks babe... I love you too!!!

No comments: