Thursday, October 16, 2008

selective listening from the "angry american"

Well... luckily the final debate is over. I can say it was the most spirited of all of them... if spirited means attacking and having selective listening.

I found it very telling that at least 6 times I counted McCain refering to things Obama had "just said"... which he didn't just say at all. It's not as if he even tried twisting what Obama had said. He just out and out completely didn't hear or decided to just lie about what had just come out of Obama's mouth. It was incredible to watch. I just kept saying to my TV "he didn't say that". But, maybe it's an age thing. My hearing is going a bit now too, but geez... maybe he could turn up his hearing aid since he was sitting so closely, he should have know what was really said.

Clearly McCain's best moment of the night was when he tried to pull off the "I'm not Bush" comment. However, it kind of looses it's effect when you've voted just like him so many times. To me the most clear distancing of himself from the Bush administration didn't come in that comment, it came in his opening. McCain made sure to "give his thoughts and prayers" to Nancy Regan who was in the hospital. But you didn't see him say the same about Dick Cheney who is also in the hospital. Hmmmm.... I'm not a fan of Cheney's either, but I'd have wished him thoughts and prayers. But I digress.

It's obvious on my blog whom I've decided our country needs this time around. I've blogged previously about the fact that two years ago I would have entertained voting McCain. But even if I thought they were anywhere near close in policies that are important to me, last nights demeanor itself would have swayed my vote. If you had watched with split screen the way I did, you'll know where I'm heading. Our country is in such poor standing around the world right now that the last thing we need is a President out negotiating for us, that looks as though he's going to blow a gasket at any moment. McCain's demeanor said it all. He's mean spirited, rude and condesending. He even tried to say that he's repudiated every bad comment in his stump speeches against Obama. Now I watch a lot of news... and NO McCain, you haven't. And your running mate certainly hasn't either. Your Fight fight fight... no matter what the fight is is NOT what this country needs right now. I'll take the calm and thoughtful person any time. Obama couldn't be shaken. He was on message because he knows what his message is. It doesn't change every time he speaks to try to get the votes. He just has ideas and is smart enough to articulate them without all the snarky rude comments.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a big fan of Toby Keith. He has a song with the title "Angry American". Now, I know who that is.

No comments: